Sunday, March 17, 2013

Cell Phone Plans to Cut Your Costs Down

One of the most expensive bills we all have is our mobile cell phone. Thankfully with each passing year more and more affordable cell phone plans hit the marketplace. There are more and more ways to save money, depending on the cell phone plans you and your family are signed up for.

I used to be with at&t and I was paying over $100 per month. I had a limited number of minutes I could use each month, with anytime minutes after 9:00 pm., and free weekends too.

This meant that I had to wait until 9 every single night to make Free phone calls - Or postpone those calls till the weekend to avoid paying overage fees by using up my allotted minutes.

To top it off, I was in a contract so I could not leave and go to another company without first, having to pay an arm and a leg to get out of the contract I was in.

Does this scenario sound familiar to anyone else?

Perhaps you are in a similar situation with a different company?

Changing my cell phone plan was on my list of things to do - and luckily for me my contract was almost up. There are pros and cons to all things, and so naturally being in a contract does come with some benefits, such as the ability to pick up a phone and visit a store to deal with any issues you may be having.

Unfortunately most of these companies sell insurance plans separate from their cell phone plans, and so even though you're paying lots of money, make sure you do not lose your phone. If you do lose your phone, let's hope you have insurance or else you'll end up paying full price for another one.

Right now there are 3 Big Phone Companies that are dominating the cell phone industry right now. They are At&t, Verizon and Sprint. T-Mobile is a close, but distant 4th. While there are more and more MVNO's popping up, the majority of these companies are unheard of, and rarely trusted.

So what can we as consumers do to level the playing field?

I'd start by suggesting we educate ourselves about this industry.

Too many of us just go with the big boys, when we should take the time to research what other options we have in the marketplace. It's a marketplace that is ever-expanding and improving.

There's a lot of good news for us as consumers, however if we continue to just go with what we know, we'll all continue being stuck in cell phone plans that break us each month, rather than provide us with quality service.

My recommendation is to start with the Mobile Virtual Network Operators that are buying space on the networks from the big 3 - and are then able to determine what their customers will pay each month.

However, also be sure to investigate each one - some are start ups that frankly are not backed by enough money to be a long term option for you. You'll save money but will sacrifice quality. That's not something that anyone wants to do.

Please keep in mind that competition is always a good thing. The more choices you and I have the more competitive these industries will become and that always brings down price.






No comments:

Post a Comment